Friday, September 21, 2012

Tighten Your Girth ... Because Here We Go!

Horse people are an opinionated bunch.  We have strong feelings about our stock, and we love to share them.  We love to share our knowledge, and our experiences, and -- most of all -- our ideas on the right and wrong way to do things.  I wouldn't be writing this if I didn't want to do so, too.  I'd be out on this gorgeous day astride a good horse instead of riding a desk chair if I didn't have that itch to share my own opinions, stories, and some horse sense.

But I'm a writer as well as a rider, and this cyber-column will be a mule of a thing; a hybrid of observations and random thoughts, fact and fiction and flights of fancy, all related somehow to that great companion of ours, the horse.  I've freelanced for decades, writing for a few horse magazines along the way, and I've written a couple of books featuring horses.  These days, I spend much of my time caring for a small herd that has grown too large -- and doing plenty of riding.  My youngest horse is still cooking in the mare's belly, and should arrive on my favorite holiday, April Fool's Day.  The oldest  turned 25 on last April Fool's Day -- and she's the grandmother of the baby-to-be. 

When I'm not riding or writing, I do custom leatherwork.  You'll see posts in coming months about maintaining and repairing your tack and saddles.  I also give horsemanship lessons and I take in an occasional horse for training or retraining; I'll enjoy sharing some of those experiences, as well.  I'm a little bit of a trivia nut, too.  As you probably know from the trivia fans in your own life, we just aren't happy unless we can tell someone else those cool little details we just ran across.  I'm sure those will find their way into plenty of posts.  

I hope you'll come along for the ride.  Bring a lunch and don't forget your hoofpick -- there are miles to go, and sometimes it gets a little rocky.




No comments:

Post a Comment