Thursday, February 7, 2013

Tighten the Reins on the Rising Cost of Horse Care




Is the money fairy generously blessing any of you, of late?  I can't think of anyone in the current economy who is actually thriving -- most of us are barely surviving.  We horse people are possibly getting hit harder than most, as the price of feed has gone up disproportionately compared to the rest of the rising costs we're all contending with.  Horses have always been a costly enough endeavor.  A few years ago I tooled checkbook covers for some horsey friends with an image of a trotting horse on the front.  One of them pointed out to me that it was symbolic, since we horse owners are always reaching for our checkbooks.

I had to crunch a lot of numbers in recent months to try to combat those ever-rising horse bills and my ever-slowing cash flow.  (Cash flow?  How about a cash trickle?)  In hopes that my hours with the calculator will help others streamline their own barn budgets, I wrote an article on Hubpages that I'll share with you here.  None of these suggestions will be new to you, I'm sure -- but perhaps you never sat down, as I did, and did the math to see what a difference a few changes can make.

Save Money on Your Horse Expenses

I sincerely hope that you can use some of these tips.  Please let me know what you think.

Update:  Now, I'm adding a way to spend money, too.  There are some products I've found well worth the extra money -- either they save you time enough, labor enough, or they end up preventing you from spending more money farther down the bridle path.  Take a look, and feel free to comment!

 Five Barn Products Worth the Extra Money

No comments:

Post a Comment